A How to for Lost Pets and Animal Poison Concerns

What to do for a lost pet?

1st- Call your local animal control or shelter to file a report.

Howard County Animal Control -- 410-313-2780

Humane Society of Carroll County -- 410-848-4810

Frederick County Animal Control -- 301-600-1546

2nd- If your pet has a microchip, contact the company the chip is registered with and report your pet missing. 

Below are two useful microchip websites. The AAHA microchip look up can help you find out what company your pets microchip is registered with if your forget but have the number. The HomeAgain site is one of the many microchip companies. This is the company we use here at TVC when we microchip our patients. Please call today to get your pet microchipped if they are not already. It only takes a few minutes and it can mean the difference in finding or not finding your lost friend. (Click the images to go to the websites!)

Microchip_Lookup.jpg        homeagain.jpg

3rd- Call your veterinary clinic to report your pet missing. They can then be on the lookout and help spread the word.

4th- Social Media. In today's society social media spreads a word faster than anything else. Here at TVC, we have a facebook page we can post on to help you find your pets. There are also several lost and found pages.

 5th- Make flyers and posters to post and distribute.

6th-Find a company who can help spread the word. One we suggest is www.findtoto.com      

Animal Poison Control

Do you know what human foods to avoid for your dog?

Avocado (all parts)

Onions (can cause Hemolytic anemia)
Raisins and Grapes can cause Renal Failure.
Potato peelings and green looking potatoes
Rhubarb leaves
Spoiled foods (keep garbage lid firmly on)
Yeast dough causing intestinal obstruction & ferment sugars, then create a problem of ethanol (alcohol) poisoning inthe animal.
Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)
Hops (used for home brewing)
Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)
Broccoli (large amounts)
Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars
Xylitol (sweetener often found in sugar-free gum)
Cooked bones - they can splinter and cause gut perforation, as well asblockages in the intestine, tooth fractures, and cooked chop bones can get stuck across the roof of the mouth.
Corn cobs -intestinal blockage requiring surgical removal
Macadamia nuts



If your pet just ate something they should not have, call your veterinarian and/or the ASPCA Pet Poison Control Center. There is a charge associated with the call.
It's the same price if you call OR if your veterinarian calls and often this call and report from the toxicologist is needed to best treat your pet.

If your pet's microchip is registered with HomeAgain the call may be free. Have the microchip number handy when you call.